Summer is around the corner. Are you ready?If you’re still stuck in hibernation mode from the long winter, you’re not alone. But now is a great time to detox your body, your mind, and your lifestyle to set yourself up for an active and enjoyable summer. Here are seven steps to better health and a renewed sense of vitality to make the most out of the sunny months ahead.
Quick quiz: do you feel thirsty right now? If you do, you’re dehydrated. Water has so many amazing benefits: it helps control calorie intake, energizes your muscles, keeps your skin looking beautiful, and keeps those bowels working properly (hey, it’s important). If you’re not a fan of plain water, infuse flavor by mixing in your favorite fruit, like strawberries and blueberries or lemons and oranges, or mix in some veggies, like cucumber slices.
2. Eat more of some foods.Asparagus, for example, contains amino acids and minerals that can help protect liver cells against toxins. And beets contain an antioxidant that can help support the cells in the liver. Check out this super simple asparagus recipe and these ways to add beets into your weekly diet.
3. Eat less of others.Okay, so alcohol isn’t a food, but if you’re trying to detox, you’ll want to avoid it. Same with too much salt; the body needs small amounts of it to function, but too much can lead to high blood pressure, water retention (read: bloat), and other issues. And did you think I’d let you get away with processed sugar? Nope. Try to minimize your intake. Stick to natural sugars from fruit and leave the baked goods and sweets for special occasions (and I’m not talking about Fridays, I’m talking about birthdays and weddings).
4. Get moving.This should already be a staple of your everyday life, but if you’re not super active, just get outside and walk around the neighborhood after dinner each night. Not only can regular walks help you maintain a healthy weight and strengthen your bones and muscles, but it can also improve your mood. Major bonus.
5. Hit the hay.And by that I mean make sure your head is hitting your pillow at least seven to nine hours a night. A proper night’s sleep can work wonders on your mood by lowering your stress levels, among other benefits. If you have trouble getting to sleep, make sure your bedroom is cool and dark, and try taking a shower right before your target bedtime.
6. Clean up your living space.Detox doesn’t just take place in your body and mind—it also includes your surroundings. Spend some time decluttering your closet and getting rid of the things you don’t need anymore. Open your windows and let fresh air in. Organize that junk drawer. Decluttering has great benefits, but my personal favorite is taking back that feeling of control over your life. Your things don’t own you! Get rid of the excess and you’ll gain so much more in return.
7. Support your healthy diet with high-quality digestion and detox supplements.Even if you’re eating a healthy diet, it can be difficult to get all nutrients your body needs from food alone. Aim for optimal nutrition with supplementation rather than simply skating by with the Recommended Daily Allowance (which is a minimum to prevent nutrient deficiency). The USANA Digestion & Detox Pack, along with the CellSentials™, made with InCelligence technology offers our best products to support your efforts for a renewed sense of well-being.* The pack is specially put together to last you 28 days—perfect for a pre-summer detox.
Challenge yourself to build some of these healthy habits into your daily routine for a healthier, happier summer—and beyond!
Article by Teresa Elias